We are privileged to walk alongside our clients during their individual cancer journeys.
Becoming a Client
Cancer does not discriminate. It is not limited to age, economic level, race, or religion.
- You must live in one of our service areas: Avon, Avon Lake, Bay Village, Rocky River or Westlake
- Clients must be receiving active cancer treatment
- Identity is kept confidential
- A Village Project Intake Volunteer will call to review your needs and the services we offer
- Your Client Intake Volunteer will work with you throughout the entire time that you are receiving services
- Clients receive nourishing meals designed with health, healing, and maintaining strength in mind
- Each bite of our food is designed to provide a high amount of nutritional value
- Food is free of processed sugar and white flour
- We use organic ingredients when possible and necessary
- Meals are prepared by high school students, under the supervision of adult cooks
- Three full meals, including an entree, side dish and dessert are delivered to each person in the family
- Included with meal delivery is a nourishing herb and vegetable broth, beneficial to clients who may be experiencing a loss of appetite or difficulty swallowing due to the side effects from treatment, radiation and chemotherapy.
- Broth is prepared weekly in our kitchen and provides essential nutrients critical to maintaining the individual’s strength
- Meals are cooked on Tuesday and Wednesday
- We are not able to accommodate specific individual dietary needs, however, deliveries include a letter detailing the menu and all ingredients
- Meals are delivered to directly to client’s homes by Delivery Angels every week
- Deliveries arrive on Wednesday between 5:45 and 6:30 p.m.
- If the client is not able to receive food at the time of delivery, arrangements can be made to leave food in a cooler or at a neighbor’s home
- Deliveries include a letter detailing the menu and ingredient list, cards made by children and signed by those who prepared and packaged the meals, and occasionally homemade gifts donated by volunteers
- Throughout the year, deliveries include flower bouquets displayed in vases painted by children; During summer months, the arrangements are designed using flowers grown in our organic garden
In order to provide the greatest support, we further support our clients by offering extended services.
- Client Intake volunteers can discuss needs and services during the initial intake meeting.
How long do our services last?
- Meals are delivered free of charge for up to 6 months
- After 6 months, we will meet with the client to evaluate the situation
Who To Contact With Questions:
"Going through my cancer journey, I've never felt like I was alone. There’s always contact and genuine care and concern. And, for those who believe, prayers that go above and beyond. It’s amazing how this organization was so small and now has blossomed and it's helping more and more people and families. I would like to see more people embrace volunteering, donating and being active in the Village Project. It’s about so much more than cancer or having cancer. It really is about community."
Nancy Brown, former Client
"Even though I’m sick, I want to make sure my family comes first. Especially when I know I can’t cook or make my family feel good, there’s someone to feed them who cares. And what they eat is healthy. It takes a lot of stress off me."
Lisa Baumgartner, Client
"Cancer is emotionally and physically exhausting. It was a huge help and an instant pick-me-up, too. I was just so touched and grateful for the kindness, generosity and support of the people in my community, most of them strangers to me at the time. I’m so lucky and blessed to have the Village Project in our community. I wish every community had one."
Jennifer Breehl, Client
"I am so grateful to all of you! I felt loved and cared for by each wonderful meal made just for me! My family also has been blessed by each one of you. My life will forever be better because of your care for me."
"Thank you so much to you and your crew who helped us set up for our Garage Sale. We never could have done it without your help. You are truly a God send!"
"We thank you for your concern and kindness. Please thank the children also. I have one of their written messages taped up in my kitchen so I can see it every day."
"Thank you for the delicious food. There were a few dishes we never had before and found out that we enjoyed them."
"Thank you for the wonderful meals for myself and my husband. We also have enjoyed the notes, flowers & prayers. This has been very helpful in a difficult time."