About Village Project
Village Project comes together as a community of all ages to provide nourishing meals and extended care and service to our neighbors who are experiencing cancer. We provide a vehicle to approach the devastating disease of cancer in a positive, hopeful manner by utilizing individual gifts and talents of volunteers, giving all the opportunity to experience the joy of serving.
The Village Project Impact
Village Project is a unique, multi-generational service organization that supports the entire family unit as they struggle with this devastating disease. Family members caring for loved ones afflicted with cancer face emotional and physical exhaustion. Our meal delivery removes the burden of planning, shopping and cooking.
To receive our services, clients must be receiving active cancer treatment and live in one of our service areas:
- Avon Lake
- Bay Village
- Rocky River
Our clients’ identities are kept confidential
- Designed to be as nourishing as possible to support healing
- Food is free of processed sugar and white flour
- Prepared by high school students, under the supervision of encouraging adults
- Three full meals, side dishes and dessert delivered to every person living in the home
- A nourishing herb and vegetable broth, made from a variety of fresh ingredients, is included with the weekly meal delivery — our healthy broth is beneficial to clients who may be experiencing a loss of appetite or difficulty swallowing due to the side effects from treatment
- Meals are delivered to client’s homes each Wednesday by our volunteer Delivery Angels
- Weekly deliveries also include:
- handmade cards and notes of encouragement
- flowers grown in our garden, delivered in hand-painted vases
- sometimes other thoughtful homemade gifts
Clients are further supported by offering extended services when needed — client Intake volunteers will discuss needs and services during the initial intake meeting
Village Project has served over 40,000 meals.
Our volunteers are empowered to utilize their individual gifts and talents. Their acts of service bring joy, hope, transformation and the healing we all need. We have found that combining the experience of adults and the energy of youth results in an explosive contagious enthusiasm.
Village Project brings ordinary people together to make extraordinary differences. Volunteers are equipped, empowered and encouraged, reflecting the true strength of community.
- 600+ strong
- Range in age from 2-90 years
- Positive, life-changing effects are experienced by serving others in need
- Pre-school and elementary-aged children learn gardening skills — planting, watering, weeding and harvesting herbs and vegetables from our organic garden that are used in our kitchen
- Teens learn important culinary skills, extensive nutritional knowledge and the importance of practicing kitchen cleanliness (vital to our clients)
- Each volunteer is valued and respected for their individual gifts and talents
- All volunteers are blessed to experience the selfless joy of serving others
We are a community organization that brings individuals, families, businesses, civic organizations, schools, churches and our cities together to love and serve our neighbors in need. Our retail store, Project Shoppe creates awareness, supports local vendors and helps to provide an income stream for our organization.
The operation of the Village Project is dependent upon our generous donors. Our donors recognize the way we personally and professionally support our clients. They applaud our efforts to equip, encourage and empower our volunteers of all ages. Both financial and in-kind donations are received from:
One of my favorite aspects of the Village Project is that it brings everyone in the community together with a common goal of serving others.
Because everyone, no matter their age, ability, skill level, or background, is united in this goal of building others up instead of tearing them down, the entire attitude of Bay Village is more positive and accepting. We are able to set aside our differences and put ourselves last.